Welcome one and welcome all to the first edition of Camp Notes for the Classic slate of Preseason Week 1. My name is Alex Krall (@AlexKrallDFS on twitter), and as DPA’s head of football content I’ve dug up preseason and training camp reports on ALL relevant skill position players for every team competing on Thursday’s 11 game main slate.
Outside of the summaries for each team, you will find a tiered system outlining our preference for particular players on each team. A separate article will be released Thursday afternoon detailing our CORE players for the Thursday night slate, and it will be available to DPA Premium members exclusively after all updates on playing time are collected. In order to be able to view the Red Zone Report (Core Play) article, we encourage you to sign up for a free 30 day all-access trial of our VIP services at https://dailyplayaction.com/dpa-premium-offer
Please stay tuned to the DPA #NFL Slack network on Thursday between 5PM and 7PM for updates and live Q+A as more news becomes available following release of this afternoon’s Red Zone Report / Core Play Article.
New York Jets
1st Tier Plays: WR | Tim White
2nd Tier Plays: RB | Trenton Cannon, WR | Greg Dortch
- QB | Davis Webb has been very bad and is in danger of getting cut.
- QB to watch: Luke Falk
- RB to watch: Trenton Cannon
- WRs to watch: Tim White, Deontay Burnett, Greg Dortch
- Dortch will serve in return game as well ensuring time on field Thursday
- TE | Chris Herndon suspended weeks 1-4 thus Jets TE race is up for grabs.
- TEs to watch: 2019 4th round pick Trevon Wesco (blocking TE), Daniel Brown flashed in OTAs + minicamp as the Jets’ best pass catching receiver after Herndon.
New York Giants
1st Tier Plays: QB | Daniel Jones
2nd Tier Plays: TE | C.J. Conrad
- QB | Daniel Jones is expected to get an extended look with no threat to start the season as the Giants QB1. The 6th overall pick has drawn rave reviews from Giants camp thus far, and is expected to see the lion’s share of the QB work on Thursday.
- WR | Cody Latimer has been the biggest standout at camp so far.
- WR | Bennie Fowler has gotten many more 1st team snaps
- WR | Alonzo Russell has stood out as has Reggie White Jr. who is now running with the 2nd team offense. Alonzo Russell and Russell Shepard should see the most snaps.
- TE | C.J. Conrad a former basketball player and UDFA has a “strong chance to make the team.” Expect snaps and red zone opportunities throughout the preseason. Gets special teams time too.
1st Tier Plays: RB | Jonathan Williams, TE | Mo-Alie Cox
2nd Tier Plays: WR | Deon Cain
- RB | Jonathan Williams, a former 5th round pick is likely to see the highest percentage of snaps with several RBs out ahead of him. The only other two Colts that will play today were just signed earlier this week. The secured volume makes him a very attractive priority RB on Thursday.
- WR | Deon Cain showed tremendous flashes in training camp, yet was lost to an ACL injury and never got to play. Fighting for a roster spot, he’s still making plays in camp.
- WR | Reece Fountain, a 2018 5th round pick is an explosive receiver that can not only stretch the field but also win in red zone situations. A solid GPP candidate for Thursday.
- RB | D’Onta Foreman has scattered reports on playing time as he was just recently signed. With that said, he won’t be a priority play today.
- TE | Mo-Alie Cox is a name to watch out for as a dangerous 6’5” pass catching tight end and former basketball player at VCU. Will likely see red zone opportunities.
- QB | Jacoby Brissett unlikely to play more than 1Q.
1st Tier Plays: WR | Cam Phillips, QB | Tyree Jackson,
2nd Tier Plays: TE | Tommy Sweeney, RB | Devin Singletary
Suggested Stack: Tyree Jackson with Cam Phillips
- QB | Tyree Jackson likely to get a long look as a bubble UDFA.
- RB | Devin Singletary has impressed with first team reps as a rookie in camp. With McCoy, Frank Gore, Yeldon locked already well known commodities, I’d expect Singletary to get more work
- WR | Cam Phillips has been making several great plays in the red zone and should see an expanded workload as he looks to make the team against Atlanta on Thursday. Phillips is one of our favorite receivers.
- WR | Duke Williams has impressed as has Ray-Ray McCloud.
- WR | David Sills has been practicing with Tyree Jackson, makes for a decent stack.
- TE | Tommy Sweeney has made most of playing time with starters out injured, he will be our most likely Bills TE to perform as Buffalo’s 2019 7th rd draft pick on the bubble.
1st Tier Plays: WR/KR | Kalif Raymond
2nd Tier Plays: WR | Tajae Sharpe, TE | Anthony Firkser , QB | Logan Woodside (Volume)
- TE | Anthony Firkser has seen the most targets thrown his way in practice, but dropped a couple of red zone opportunities in the end zone recently as well.
- RB | Jeremy McNichols (RB4) is making the most of his opportunities as a pass-catcher.
- RB | Dalyn Dawkins battling with McNichols for a roster spot – both will see most reps against Philly.
- WR | Kalif Raymond, impressed with the Giants last year in training camp and serves as a dual-purpose WR/KR. Has earned some first team reps over the first two weeks.
- QB | Logan Woodside should see the majority of the snaps on Thursday with experienced starters Marcus Mariota and Ryan Tannehill entrenched ahead of him.
- WR | Tajae Sharpe has starred as reliable chain-mover in practices/scrimmages and is ascending the depth chart.
1st Tier Plays: N/A
2nd Tier Plays: WR | Carlton Agudosi, QB | Clayton Thorson, RB | Miles Sanders
- WR | Carlton Agudosi has gotten plenty of reps early in camp, and will need to make an impression in preseason games to beat out a stacked Eagles receiving core.
- QB | Clayton Thorson, a 2019 5th round pick out of Northwestern, should see plenty of action in the Eagles opener. Throws great deep ball and has “looked like Dan Marino.”
- RB | Miles Sanders, the Eagles 2nd round pick has drawn comparisons to a young LeSean McCoy. Has impressed in camp, and will become possible CORE play if guaranteed 2+ quarters.
- WR | J.J. Arcega-Whiteside hauled in an 80 yard TD in practice.
- TE | Dallas Goedert has shown signs he’s on the verge of a breakout.
1st Tier Plays: N/A
2nd Tier Plays: QB | Dwayne Haskins, RB | Shaun Wilson, WR | Terry McLaurin
- WR | Terry McLaurin (2019 3rd round pick) has stood out and has a good shot at unseating Josh Doctson for a starting WR role on the perimeter.
- QB | Dwayne Haskins – Terry McLaurin will be a priority stack in this preseason (Haskins will play Thursday) as both had rapport excelling together last season at Ohio State.
- WR | Trey Quinn, Mr. Irrelevant in the 2018 draft, has the inside track at landing the Redskins slot receiver role. He is currently listed as the team’s WR3.
- RB | Shaun Wilson, the UDFA out of UNC looks quick and impressive so far and could feature in a “Chris Thompson-like” role on Thursday.
- QB | Case Keenum will start Thursday, how much time is unknown.
1st Tier Plays: RB | Dontrell Hilliard, WR | Ishmael Hyman, WR | Derrick Willies
2nd Tier Plays: RB | D’Ernest Johnson, QB | Garrett Gilbert (Volume)
- QB | Garrett Gilbert is projected to play the most QB for the Browns this preseason.
- RB | Dontrell Hilliard has shined in camp, and is one of our favorite RBs on the slate. Is currently projected to play the entire first half on Thursday.
- RB | D’Ernest Johnson should get most of the second half work, and is likely to see plenty of looks as he auditions for other teams as a fringe depth player for Cleveland.
- WR | Antonio Callaway, Jaelen Strong, Derrick Willies and Ishmael Hyman are likely to play all of the first half, with Hyman likely seeing the entire second half as well.
- WR | Derrick Willies and Ishmael Hymen are our favorite plays of the CLE receivers.
- TE | Stephen Carlson and Mik’Quan Deane are the only two viable TEs come Thursday, as the Browns know what they have elsewhere. Both players are rookies.
1st Tier Plays: WR | D.J Chark, WR | Chris Conley
2nd Tier Plays: QB | Gardner Minshew II
- WR | Chris Conley (current WR4) was reportedly the “best Jags receiver” at OTAs and is looking to lock down a spot as a top 3 spot with a strong preseason.
- QB | Gardner Minshew II, the Jags 2019 6th round pick is currently slated to be Nick Foles’ primary backup and expected to get about a half of playing time on Thursday.
- WR | D.J. Chark, the Jags 2018 2nd round pick, has been wowing Jags staff in camp.
1st Tier Plays: QB | Trace McSorley, WR | Jaleel Scott
2nd Tier Plays: TE | Charles Scarff
Suggested Stack: McSorley with Scott
- QB | Trace McSorley should see the majority of snaps Thursday night. We like him to produce in a number of ways this preseason, including at QB vs. Jacksonville.
- WR | Jaleel Scott the 2018 4th round pick has been awarded the most improved training camp designation after appearing faster and more confident at Ravens camp. Will see time on the field against Jags.
- TE | Hayden Hurst, a 2018 1st round pick, is in line to see ample opportunity as he looks to ascend the depth chart after a somewhat disappointing first season despite his pedigree.
New England Patriots
1st Tier Plays: WR | Jakobi Meyers, QB | Jarrett Stidham, RB | Damien Harris
2nd Tier Plays: WR | Braxton Berrios, WR | Maurice Harris
- QB | Jarrett Stidham, the Pats 2019 4th round selection, is expected to play a lot with two experienced QBs in Brady and Hoyer ahead of him.
- RB | Damien Harris, the 2019 3rd round pick out of Alabama should dominate the workload out of the Pats backfield on Thursday.
- WR | Jakobi Meyers has reportedly been Tom Brady’s “favorite target” in training camp having caught 14 of 18 passes in 11 v 11 team drills. This should earn Meyers a lot of looks in the Pats preseason opener against Detroit as their top performer in camp thus far.
- WR | Maurice Harris caught 28 balls for the Redskins last season and has been very impressive in camp. Expected to receive an extended look while entrenched at WR6.
- WR | Braxton Berrios is a candidate to see increased target share in the Pats first practice game, but has been inconsistent in camp.
1st Tier Plays: N/A
2nd Tier Plays: RB | Ty Johnson, WR | Travis Fulgham, TE | T.J. Hockenson
- QB | Tom Savage and David Fales will see majority of snaps as they battle for QB2 role.
- RB | Ty Johnson has shown several flashes as a pass catcher and should be a guaranteed role on Thursday as a bubble player that adds value returning kicks as well.
- TE | T.J. Hockenson has been a “fixture” in the first team and is likely to be a major threat in the Lions Red Zone offense. As a projected starter, will unlikely see an abundance of snaps in Preseason Week 1.
- WR | Travis Fulgham has been getting the most reps of the Lions bubble receivers. It seems as though the Lions want him to win the WR6 role and will put him to the test.
1st Tier Plays: RB | Brian Hill
2nd Tier Plays: QB | Matt Simms (Volume), WR | Christian Blake, WR | Olamide Zaccheaus
- QB | Matt Simms is likely to see most work with Benkert out injured – was only just signed this past Sunday.
- RB | Brian Hill scored a TD in the HOF game and is breathing down Ito Smith’s neck for the RB2 job. Hill led ATL with 11 carries for 57 yards and a receiving TD in the opener.
- WR | Christian Blake led Falcons in receiving in the HOF game and is a bubble player that will be asked to prove himself.
- WR | Olamide Zaccheaus disappointed last week, but has the tools to win the WR6 role.
1st Tier Plays: WR | Preston Williams
2nd Tier Plays: N/A
- QB | Josh Rosen has come on very strong despite a slow start to camp with several consecutive solid practices. Expected to see a nice chunk of playing time on Thursday.
- RB | Kalen Ballage is pushing Kenyan Drake for 1st team reps. With his place secured high atop the Miami depth chart, I find it hard to believe he sees more than a quarter of action on Thursday.
- TE | Mike Gesicki, the 2018 2nd round draft pick, is having an inconsistent camp.
- WR | Preston Williams, a CSU alum, has absolutely “lit up” practices thus far as an UDFA. Stud DB Xavien Howard has gone on the record as saying he has the potential to be a “special player.” Talent is there.
1st Tier Plays: RB | Reggie Bonnafon
2nd Tier Plays: N/A
- QB | Kyle Allen and Will Grier should each see about a 1/1/2 quarters before Taylor Heinicke cleans up in the 4th.
- RB | Reggie Bonnafon is expected to see plenty of work with both CMC and Jordan Scarlett sitting out. Known more as a pass-catching RB, he can make an impact quickly.
- TE | Ian Thomas is second on the Panthers depth chart, but he was a force in the red zone last preseason, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see more of him against Chicago.
1st Tier Plays: WR | Javon Wims
2nd Tier Plays: RB | David Montgomery, WR | Riley Ridley, QB | Tyler Bray
- QB | Tyler Bray is the younger of the two depth QBs and is much more likely to see time against CAR. While he appeared in 4 preseason games in 2018, he didn’t play that well.
- RB | David Montgomery should become the Bears starter come Week 1.
- WR | Riley Ridley is another impact rookie that can take the pressure off of Bears QBs with his ability to thrive in dump-off situations in the short to intermediate passing game.
- WR | Javon Wims showed out as a 7th round draft pick in the 2018 preseason, leading all WRs with 227 receiving yards. Has had another terrific effort in 2019 training camp practices.
- WR | Marvin Hall is a speedy WR who could be a deep/aerial threat this preseason.
- TE | Ian Bunting and Dax Raymond are rookies vying for the TE5 spot. As bubble players, expect to see most of the TE snaps going to these two.
1st Tier Plays: QB | Joe Webb
2nd Tier Plays: RB | Damarea Crockett, WR | Vyncent Smith
- QB | Joe Webb is projected for the most playing time of any starter on the Thursday slate. Has excelled in past preseasons.
- RB | Damarea Crockett is the leading candidate to be the beneficiary of recently departed D’Onta Foreman’s carries. Will see plentiful preseason action as Texans look to kick the tires on him.
- RB | Taiwan Jones, a 9 year vet, looks to have a hold on the pass-catching duties amongst RBs so far in practices.
- WR | Vyncent Smith has held solid “spring buzz” leading up to camp. Is the favorite to lock down Texans WR4 this preseason.
Green Bay Packers
1st Tier Plays: WR | Jake Kumerow, RB | Dexter Williams, WR | Trevor Davis
2nd Tier Plays: WR | Darrius Shepherd, QB | Manny Wilkins, RB | Danny Vitale
- QB | Manny Wilkins delivered a 70 yard TD strike to Trevor Davis in practice while ascending the Pack’s depth chart. Playing for a spot on the team. Good stack with Davis.
- RB | Danny Vitale has excelled in pass catching situations trying to make the team as a fullback. Has drawn praise from A-Rod and is on the safe side to make the team.
- RB | Dexter Williams will reap the benefits of Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams and Tra Carson all ruled out injured. Expect a heavy workload for the 2019 6th round pick.
- WR | Jake Kumerow, a preseason darling in 2018 preseason, has been the talk of Packers camp. With that said, he is closer to the top of the depth chart than the bottom, so he may be slightly risky.
- WR | Trevor Davis (5th round, 2016 draft pick) has impressed many Packers fans and reporters. Expected to compete with Equanimeous St. Brown and J’Mon Moore for final two WR spots.
- WR | Darrius Shepherd has been beating Packers starting CBs in practice. In line to make an impact along with Davis and Kumerow at a somewhat stacked WR position.
Los Angeles Chargers
1st Tier Plays: WR | Artavis Scott
2nd Tier Plays: RB | Detrez Newsome, WR | Geremy Davis
- QB | Easton Stick averaged 46 rushing yards per game in college. Coaches want to see him throw, but he should still make some plays on his feet. Possesses decent GPP upside.
- QB | Cardale Jones will be given opportunity to solidify QB3 role.
- RB | Detrez Newsome was an intriguing prospect in 2018 preseason DFS, having gotten 31 carries through two games at one point. More opportunity for Newsome on Thursday.
- WR | Artavis Scott has been lighting it up in camp, and looks to carve out a role as the team’s 3rd/4th receiver this preseason. Had 8 rec. on 11 targets for 81 yards last year.
- WR | Geremy Davis scored a TD on nearly 100 yards receiving in preseason Week 1 last season, and is trying to lock down a roster spot.
1st Tier Plays: WR | Hakeem Butler
2nd Tier Plays: WR | Keesean Johnson, TE | Caleb Wilson
- RB | Chase Edmonds was another 2018 preseason prospect that bears upside in tournament play. Seeing as he is 2nd on the depth chart I doubt he sees more than 1 quarter tomorrow.
- WR | Keesean Johnson is the “clear” Cardinals WR3 so far. With that said, he won’t be fighting for a roster spot on Thursday.
- WR | Hakeem Butler has the highest ceiling of possibly any Cardinals receiver possessing downfield speed and a wide catch radius. Butler is the cardinals best preseason red zone threat, but drops a lot of balls.
- TE | Caleb Wilson, Mr. Irrelevant in the 2019 draft can be an impact performer in the passing game as a bubble player with pass catching prowess. All other TEs are very experienced, and less likely to see preseason action.
1st Tier Plays: QB | Drew Lock, RB | Khalfani Mohammed
2nd Tier Plays: WR | Juwan Winfree, TE | Noah Fant
- QB | Drew Lock is expected to play the majority of Thursday’s game, yet was unconvincing in the HOF game. Expected volume alone will have him in the CORE conversation.
- RB | Khalfani Mohammed has been one of the biggest standouts at camp so far, having scored a rushing TD while amassing 50 yards on the ground with 4 receptions to boot last week.
- WR | Juwan Winfree had the only Broncos receiving TD against the Falcons last week.
- WR | Kelvin McKnight is on the bubble, and will need to string together a few solid preseason performances to stick on this Bronco roster. Should see chances to do so.
- TE | Noah Fant, the Broncos 1st round pick in the 2019 draft was targeted just three times against the Falcons in his 1st game. Look for his involvement to increase as he gets more familiar with the offense.
1st Tier Plays: RB | Bo Scarbrough
2nd Tier Plays: WR | D.K. Metcalf
- QB | Geno Smith will get the first half and Paxton Lynch will get the second.
- RB | Bo Scarbrough is likely to see the biggest workload with everyone but the starters in front of him out injured. The projected volume here for Scarbrough is higher than in most other team RB situations.
- RB | J.D. McKissic should be considered if he is cleared to play.
- WR | D.K. Metcalf has been a “cheat code” in practice. Can win in the red zone with relative ease, but should see limited reps as a projected starter.
Defense / Special Teams
- Baltimore Ravens face a list of 3 unproven QBs with very limited experience (if any) in Minshew, Lee and McGough
- Denver Broncos gets to tee off against inept QBs Geno Smith and Paxton Lynch all game
- Miami Dolphins will face QB Matt Simms for most of the game who was just signed earlier this week. High turnover potential for the ‘Fins.
Thank you very much for taking the time to catch up on Training Camp with me. Premium members please take note that a Slack Q+A follow up for Thursday’s NFL classic preseason slate will take place at 6:00PM EST. To test it out, head over to dailyplayaction.com and start your free 30 day trial of DPA Premium. Also, don’t forget to follow us on twitter @dailyplayaction where you can find the most updated info and analysis