Happy weekend everyone! It’s been a hell of a ride these last couple of days, but we’ve still got one more edition of Camp Notes for the Classic (Saturday) slate of Preseason Week 1. My name is Alex Krall (@AlexKrallDFS on twitter), and as DPA’s head of football content, I’ve dug up preseason and training camp reports on ALL relevant skill position players for all six teams competing on Saturday night. Outside of the summaries for each squad’s skill position players, you will find a class system outlining our preference for particular players on each team. A separate article will be released Saturday afternoon detailing our CORE with updated player pool for the Friday night slate that you certainly won’t want to miss. The Red Zone Report will be available to DPA Premium members exclusively after all updates on playing time are collected. In order to be able to view the Red Zone Report (Core Play) article, please sign up for a free 30 day all-access trial of our VIP services at https://dailyplayaction.com/dpa-premium-offer
Please stay tuned to the DPA #NFL Slack network on Saturday between 7:00PM – 8:00PM for updates and live Q+A as more news becomes available following release of this afternoon’s Red Zone Report / Core Play Article.
1st Class: WR | Damion Willis, RB | Trayveon Williams
2nd Class: WR | Stanley Morgan, TE | Drew Sample, QB | Ryan Finley
Suggested Stack: QB | Ryan Finley – WR | Damion Willis
- QB | Ryan Finley, the Bengals 4th round pick in 2018, will compete with Jeff Driskel for the QB2 role, and we’re currently projecting him for about a half of playing time tonight. Was once a 1st round draft prospect after stellar play at NC State.
- RB | Trayveon Williams, a 6th round pick out of Texas A&M, rushed for 1,760 yards (3rd overall in FBS), and scored 18 touchdowns (5th overall) in 2018. Fellow 6th round pick Rodney Anderson will miss this contest, and Joe Mixon and Gio Bernard will sit, leaving huge opportunity for Trayveon Williams to play most of the game.
- WR | Damion Willis has generated the most buzz out of any receivers in Bengals camp. Willis is a huge target that should win contested ball situations in the red zone. We love him as a GPP play tonight.
- WR | Stanley Morgan was ranked as the Bengals best UDFA according to Bleacher Report. Had 2,747 receiving yards at Nebraska.
- TE | Drew Sample, the Bengals 2nd round pick this year, is still trying to gain ground on incumbent starters Tyler Eifert and Uzomah. For that reason, he should still get a good amount of looks tonight.
Kansas City Chiefs
1st Class: QB | Patrick Mahomes, RB | Darwin Thompson, WR | Tyreek Hill, WR | Mecole Hardiman, TE | Travis Kelce
2nd Class: RB | Carlos Hyde, WR | Sammy Watkins
Suggested Stack: QB | Patrick Mahomes – WR | Tyreek Hill / TE | Travis Kelce
- Head Coach Andy Reid said that the starters would get a full quarter of live action. I love the GPP upside of banking on the best QB in football to get two passing TD’s in the 1st quarter. Doing so would make Patrick Mahomes a guaranteed top 3 QB on this slate. The same could be said for a long TD by Tyreek Hill (if healthy) or Sammy Watkins.
- RB | Carlos Hyde is in consideration as he could punch in a TD on the first drive. There is a decent chance he does so in 15 minutes of PT.
- RB | Darwin Thompson, the team’s 4th pick, has impressed the most among Damien Williams’ backups. Should see a half of playing time with the 3rd team, and has drawn positive reviews out of Chiefs camp.
- WR | Mecole Hardiman, a 2019 2nd round pick out of Georgia, has impressed staff with his speed and ability to create separation. Should get at least a quarter of playing time, but possibly more.
- TE | Travis Kelce won’t need much time to make his presence felt. One quarter gives him a good shot at 10+ points if he can hit pay dirt.
Los Angeles Rams
1st Class: WR | JoJo Natson
2nd Class: RB | John Kelly, RB | Darrell Henderson, WR | Mike Thomas
Suggested Stack: WR | Jojo Natson – Rams D/ST
- RB | Darrell Henderson is the top outside-zone RB in the 2019 draft class. Has received high praise in practice, but his workload is a cause for concern.
- RB | John Kelly, the Rams 2018 6th round pick. would benefit the most from Henderson being limited.
- WR | Jojo Natson adds value as a WR/KR and has shined as a receiver in practice despite initial reports of him being on the roster bubble.
- WR | Mike Thomas has reportedly been one of the standouts at Rams camp. Thomas is very much on the bubble, so we expect him to get run and play hungry tonight.
1st Class: WR | Hunter Renfroe, QB | Nathan Peterman, TE | Foster Moreau
2nd Class: WR | Keon Hatcher
Suggested Stack: QB | Nathan Peterman – WR | Hunter Renfroe
- QB | Nathan Peterman is viable despite god awful regular season play with the Bills, and is almost certain to play a full half on Saturday which is more than can be said for most QBs on this slate.
- WR | Hunter Renfroe, the Clemson standout and Raiders 5th round draft pick is currently projected to be the starting slot WR. Despite Jon Gruden claiming that starters won’t play, I’ve gotten reports that he will receive “plenty of targets” here tonight.
- WR | Keon Hatcher broke the slate scoring 3 TDs in a Raiders preseason game last season. Expected to see a bulk of snaps in the 2nd half.
- TE | Foster Moreau, the Raiders 2019 4th round selection, should see an expanded workload as a newcomer to Jon Gruden’s offense. Helping this matter is the fact that Luke Willson and Derek Carrier will miss the game as seasoned vets, opening up even more snaps.
1st Class: WR | Cedrick Wilson, RB | Mike Weber, WR | Jon’Vea Johnson
2nd Class: RB | Tony Pollard
- RB | Mike Weber, a stud at Ohio State, was a tremendous playmaker in college and has been touted by coaches throughout camp. With the Cowboys lacking confidence in their RB situation, expect the Cowboys 7th round pick to get plenty of work in the 2nd half.
- WR | Cedrick Wilson is the only non UDFA on the Cowboys roster that will play tonight. Was taken in the 6th round of this year’s draft.
- WR | Jon’Vea Johnson is currently slotted in as Amari Cooper’s backup after having “lit up” training camp.
- RB | Tony Pollard, the Cowboys 4th round pick, is expected to compete for the starting RB job with Zeke out. With that the case, I doubt that Dallas risks losing him to injury with more than 1Q. The fact that he’s a rookie gives me some hope to sprinkle him in GPPs.
San Francisco 49ers
1st Class: RB | Raheem Mostert, RB | Austin Walter, QB | Nick Mullens, WR | Kendrick Bourne
2nd Class: TE | Tyree Mayfield, WR | Deebo Samuel, WR | Jalen Hurd, TE | Ross Dwelley, WR | Richie James
Suggested Stack: QB | Nick Mullens – WR | Kendrick Bourne
- QB | Nick Mullens shined when given his opportunity to man the helm last season. Love his chances at exceeding expectation with extended run against a 2nd/3rd team defense. Expecting 2 quarters.
- RB | Raheem Mostert averaged 7.7 UPC last season (34 carries) before suffering a gruesome arm fracture that derailed his year. Will pair with Austin Walter to form a two man crew of RBs available tonight.
- RB | Austin Walter is the second of only two RBs to suit up for the 49ers tonight. Will see a TON of work as the pass catching specialist in the 49ers backfield tonight, adding PPR value on DraftKings.
- WR | 49ers Receivers: Bourne, James, Samuel and Hurd are all here for different reasons. Bourne for tremendous buzz but is slightly higher up the depth chart, James because of his performance in the preseason last year, and Hurd because of his high draft pedigree and solid performance at camp. 2nd round pick Deebo Samuel has disappointed thus far, and should get a shot to prove himself tonight.
- WR | Jalen Hurd, the 49ers 3nd round pick, is deep down the 49ers depth chart, but will likely see ample playing time here.
- TE | Tyree Mayfield ranked as Bleacher Report’s “top UDFA” for the 49ers this year. Has made some amazing catches in practice, and also adds value on special teams.
- TE | Ross Dwelley has generated a lot of buzz in camp, and should see a good amount of snaps as a depth player fighting for a roster spot.
Thank you very much for taking the time to catch up on Training Camp with me. Premium members, please take note that a Slack Q+A follow up for Saturday’s NFL classic preseason slate will take place at 7:00PM EST. To test out our VIP slack network and ask us questions about your rosters, head over to dailyplayaction.com/dpa-premium-offer and start your free 30 day trial of DPA Premium. Also, don’t forget to follow Alex on twitter @AlexKrallDFS and our site @dailyplayaction in order to find the most current preseason info and analysis!